The Midwest Immigrant Defenders Alliance (MIDA) provides high-quality immigration legal services for free to detained immigrants.
Who qualifies for free legal representation from MIDA?
Individuals must meet all of the following criteria:
- In removal proceedings before the Chicago Immigration Court.
- In immigration detention. It does not matter where the detention center is located. Immigrants in the Chicago Immigration Court are commonly detained in Indiana, Wisconsin, and Kentucky.
- Household income under 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Have not yet had their first immigration court hearing.
- Do not already have a different immigration legal representative.
Individuals who do not meet these requirements may still be able to obtain free or low-cost legal help from NIJC or another MIDA partner.
Individuals who are detained and scheduled for a hearing at the Chicago Immigration Court on a day when MIDA is available will have the opportunity to tell the immigration judge they want a consultation with a free representative.