Government guidelines, forms, and other supplemental materials for pro bono attorneys representing immigrant children.
Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
- NIJC Basic Procedural Manual for Representing Children and Youth Seeking Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS)
- Appendix to NIJC's SIJS Manual
- NIJC's Memorandum to USCIS regarding challenging in the adjudication of SIJS petitions
- Practice Advisory: USCIS Policy Updates for Special Immigrant Juveniles
- Appendix to USCIS Policy Updates for Special Immigrant Juveniles
- William R. Yates, “Memorandum #3 – Field Guidance on Special immigrant Juvenile Status Petitions,” USCIS, May 27, 2004
- Donald Neufeld, “Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008: Special Immigrant Juvenile Status Provisions,” USCIS, March 24, 2009
- USCIS Policy Memo: Implementation of the Special Immigrant Juvenile Perez-Olano Settlement Agreement, April 3, 2011
- Information regarding the settlement agreement in Perez-Olano, et al. v. Holder, et al.
- USCIS Ombudsman Recommendations: Special Immigrant Juvenile Adjudications
- Lori Scialabba, “Responses to Recommendation 47, Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) Adjudications: An Opportunity for Adoption of Best Practices,” USCIS, July 13, 2011
Substantive Manuals and Guidance
- NIJC's Asylum Manual
- Asylum Office Basic Training Course Lesson 29 Guidelines for Children's Asylum Claims
- INS guidelines on children asylum claims
- UNHCR guidelines on children's asylum claims
USCIS Procedural Memoranda
- ICE Instruction Sheet for UAC Asylum Applications
- March 2009 EOIR Interim Guidance: Implementation of the TVPRA Asylum Jurisdictional Provision
- Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (TVPRA) Practice Advisory
- USCIS Asylum Division Memo: Implementation of the Initial Jurisdiction Provision of the TVPRA for Unaccompanied Alien Children; March 25, 2009
- USCIS Asylum Division Memo: Updated Procedures for Determination of Initial Jurisdiction over Asylum Applications Filed by Unaccompanied Alien Children, May 28, 2013
- USCIS Q&A: Updated Procedures for Determination of Initial Jurisdiction over Asylum Applications Filed by Unaccompanied Alien Children.
Children and the U.S. Immigration System
- EOIR Guidelines for Immigration Court Cases Involving Unaccompanied Alien Children
- NIJC, Policy Brief: Unaccompanied Immigrant Children: Vulnerable Children Face Insurmountable Obstacles," January 2014
- UNHCR, "Children on the Run," March 12, 2014
- Center for Gender & Refugee Studies, KIND, "A Treacherous Journey: Child Migrants Navigating the U.S. Immigration System," February 2014
- Jacqueline Bhabha and Susan Schmidt, “Seeking Asylum Alone: Unaccompanied and Separated Children and Refugee Protection in the U.S.,” June 2006
- LIRS, “Working with Refugee and Immigrant Children"